Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Flowering Quince

I decided this week that I want to do a series of small floral studies from my flower gardens as they come into season. I hope to continue this throughout the summer. I would like to develop enough pieces to enter a series in the Grand Rapids art event ArtPrize 2012.
I love my gardens almost as much as I love to paint. It will be fun to watch for the flowers to open and choose which I will paint each week!
Today I chose the Flowering Quince. I struggled with the pot behind the flowers. It is delicately carved in wood. I wanted to capture that, but I didn't want it to become too busy and overpower the flowers. I think it worked out ok...but I wonder if the overall feeling of the painting is too dark? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment